Pages

Sunday 13 February 2011

Why I chose PR

PR. Public Relations. I’m not going to lie, when I decided to study PR at University I didn’t really have a good understanding of what it actually is, and what it entails, and through describing my course to my nearest and dearest, I discovered that not a lot of people actually do.
‘Advertising,’ is the answer I got from my boyfriend. ‘Dealing with the public,’ from my mum. ‘Something to do with the media’ from my best friend. PR includes aspects of all these things, so on a certain level all of these are right, but then at the same time they’re so wrong. Entrepeneur.com told me that the definition of PR is ‘Using the news or business press to carry positive stories about your company or your products; cultivating a good relationship with local press representatives.’
I think PR means something different to everybody. But what does it mean to me? It’s now the 17th December, I’ve just finished my lectures and seminars for my first semester, and I finally feel ready to answer that question. For me, PR is a way to share with others what I feel passionate about. I absolutely love the feeling you get when you discover something amazing, and want to share it with the world. Well, to me, that is where PR steps in.
Of course for some people it is all about gaining media coverage. Protecting your reputation. Turning negatives around to create something positive. But for me it’s more than that. It’s a way to be creative with how you present your company or product.  A way to show exactly what your company is all about. For me, the way a brand communicates with its consumers reveals a lot about it. I, for one, am much more likely to give my custom to companies who look like they care about us. Who make an effort to communicate with us, and do it in a creative and fun way that’s likely to grab my attention and remember them. After all, where would businesses be without their loyal consumers?
Everywhere you look there’s companies claiming they’re the best, that their products/services will change your life, but how can we differentiate between the ones which are worthwhile, and the ones that are happy to just keep taking money, but not really caring about its customers?
I want to work in PR to help the brands that deserve the publicity they get. The brands who add little touches that aren’t necessarily needed, and make an effort in every part of their business, from customer service to their online persona. The area I would love to work in more than anything is fashion and/or beauty. I know it will be difficult and competitive, but when I’m working with and helping to promote brands which I truly believe in, I know it will be all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment